This week we learned A LOT of new things, but I really loved the GIF making
1. But we also learned Photoshop, which has a HUGE Learning curve. but I’ll take any sort of practice on it that I can take. We made minimalist posters, I really loved my Party Down one
2. Reading the short story Jon was weird, and I did not understand the connection to gifs until we discussed it in class. We can get closer to a pure communication through shared experiences. GIFs and facial expressions are a part of that ability to share an experience.
Design has turned out to be pretty tricky, there a major learning curve with using photoshop. One of my room mates who is in the art school was able to help me a bit though
1. Looking through the albums without sound was really interesting. Putting them together reminded me of the way you put together a stripper name– The name of your first pet and the street that you grew up on. Mine is Ella Franklin
2. So I made my own album cover, but I don’t think I would be into the music of Xianjie Subdistrict
3. There were so many examples of minimalism of things that I like, it was so hard to choose. Do I stay current and do the sigils from Game of Thrones or do I do something a bit older like Jaws. I the end though I chose to do Arrested Developmet–> a crowd pleaser.
4. For the movie poster I was a bit more up to date using a movie that came out only two weekends ago. Spring Breakers has been getting a lot of press regarding the cast, so I just labeled them as they are.
5. Ted Talk– I tried to think of a lot of different movie characters and what their ultimate Ted Talk would be. I chose Shosh from girls, she talks a lot. In the season finale she has a brief monologue going over everything her (ex) boyfriend ray hates.
6. Color Splash– this was definitely my most creative (meaning artistic) creation thus far, I’m really happy with how it turned out
1. We finished our audio section! I really enjoyed working on the dating piece with Bridget. It was fun tricking Erik and Courtney into telling us their sides of the story. And it even resulted in the two of them sort of trying to talk again
2. Tinder is weird wild world of weirdos, I have so many screenshots of the weird messages I’ve gotten I’m considering making a collage.
3. I was home this past weekend and we got a huge snowstorm which trapped me in my house without internet or tv. So I made this.
4. For our own little venture in design I did a troll quote mashing together Meryl Streep, Margaret Thatcher, Hillary Clinton, and Cher Horwitz
5. How Images think response– I really liked these readings, it made me really consider all the various images that we see everyday and the meaning that we are supposed to interpret from them.
So spring break came when my computer finally gave out on me. I left it at the Apple Store for a diagnosis. It is on its deathbed, but it will make it through the rest of the semester thank god. However, it is very slow moving, I know the infinite amount of information that is in it, yet it takes much coercing to extract it. Hopefully its expected recovery will hold true.
1. What was the last lie you told? this vox pop was very fun to do and was interesting to see the different lies that my friends had told. Most told lies about their parents to get out of things and to appease their many questions.
3. My best friend Ariel was invited to his first christmas party ever this past year, so he invited me to go with him. We are both celebrators of Channukah so it was a total novelty to us. Here he is celebrating holidays
4. Popcorn is actually one of my favorite foods, and I make at least once a week for dinner when I do not have any actual food in the kitchen.
3. The Everything is a Remix video series was great. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the films. Though I did go back and watch the extra Tarantino one, which is terrific. You can tell the sketch they did on SNL made note of all of his technique.
4. I finished my first video. A supercut of people saying my name
5. I ate popcorn for dinner this evening because I have no other food. I tried to embed the vine video directly into wordpress but the code wasn’t staying after clicking publish which was weird
6. I’m excited to be able to use iMovie now, even if it is in the most basic way!
1. We were able to finish our in class video regarding what the future of education looks like, our group grouped really well together and Brett even worked on it a bit over the weekend
2. I got to tell some awesome jokes to the class, I know I think I’m really funny, which thanks to Ellen was pretty easy to do.
3. I really do not like reality TV, but I succumb to it every once and a while. It is impossible to escape it.
4. My favorite foreign language word is not the most appropriate for class, but it hands down my favorite. I’ve been told though that the yiddish word for condom is Shmeckle Deckle, which is pretty awesome sounding as well.
5. Movies for profit and more profit. This just goes to show how difficult it is to make a non main stream movie in Hollywood, not that there is anything wrong with the CGI porn of Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer. I have seen every Transformers movie at its midnight premiere so…
6. An inside look into my favorite collection of items–my matchbooks. My does this and so I inherited the habit, we always take them when they are presented at bars or restaurants. I hope one day when I’m a real person my business cards will be matchbooks.
7. I’m so excited to see where this Catfish idea for our class video is going to go. The Catfish show was recently parodied on SNL!
1.I’m really excited to start the video portion of class and to see what everyone produces. Making tongue twisters was really funny, and its cool how everyone chose different ones. I really hope to be able to meet my goals and make something that’s cool and fun by the end of the unit.
2. Reading the “Syncher and not the Song” was really interesting. It was published in 2006 and since then a LOT has changed in regards to the accessibility of the internet, and video creating software. We all grew up with the ability to post anything we wanted on youtube, the volume of videos available is much greater. And now video creation is changing in the form of Vine.
1. With only one class this week we didn’t get to start our new projects, but our conversation about education was really in depth, and it was compelling to hear all our thoughts and ideas. I found this satire from Salon written by author Adam Mansbach of “Go the Fuck to Sleep“. It’s a fake syllabus from a professor who realizes the limitations of the classroom, very interesting looking at thinks from the other side. salon.com
2. There were some really interesting daily creates this wee. The first one I did was about the sky, and first think I thought of as a descriptive was “What’s up?”, because I still have the humor of a 5th grader. I don’t think I ever really describe the sky with color in mind.
3. One of my really good friends is an intern at Michigan Radio this semester,so I got a chance to talk to him about what he does and how he likes it. He told me that he thinks they do a better job managing the Facebook page than Twitter. He is a news junkie, so he told me some cool things he’s been able to do since working there. I liked looking at the site, the navigation was a little confusing though. Michigan Radio
4. Sunday’s daily create was really fun. I liked looking at everyone else’s post and seeing how the described their breakfast and thinking about what they actually ate. Brett’s and Ariana’s looked really good(and mine).
5. The Harvard Business Review articles were really great. I agree that the commonly used image of marketing and decisionmaking being a tunnel is outdated and that the Customer Decision journey is a much better outlook. Purchasing truly is a journey and the relationship between the consumer and brand that forms can be maintained by the highest level of possible (the CEO).