This week we learned A LOT of new things, but I really loved the GIF making
1. But we also learned Photoshop, which has a HUGE Learning curve. but I’ll take any sort of practice on it that I can take. We made minimalist posters, I really loved my Party Down one
2. Reading the short story Jon was weird, and I did not understand the connection to gifs until we discussed it in class. We can get closer to a pure communication through shared experiences. GIFs and facial expressions are a part of that ability to share an experience.
So spring break came when my computer finally gave out on me. I left it at the Apple Store for a diagnosis. It is on its deathbed, but it will make it through the rest of the semester thank god. However, it is very slow moving, I know the infinite amount of information that is in it, yet it takes much coercing to extract it. Hopefully its expected recovery will hold true.
1. What was the last lie you told? this vox pop was very fun to do and was interesting to see the different lies that my friends had told. Most told lies about their parents to get out of things and to appease their many questions.
3. My best friend Ariel was invited to his first christmas party ever this past year, so he invited me to go with him. We are both celebrators of Channukah so it was a total novelty to us. Here he is celebrating holidays
4. Popcorn is actually one of my favorite foods, and I make at least once a week for dinner when I do not have any actual food in the kitchen.
3. The Everything is a Remix video series was great. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the films. Though I did go back and watch the extra Tarantino one, which is terrific. You can tell the sketch they did on SNL made note of all of his technique.
4. I finished my first video. A supercut of people saying my name
5. I ate popcorn for dinner this evening because I have no other food. I tried to embed the vine video directly into wordpress but the code wasn’t staying after clicking publish which was weird
6. I’m excited to be able to use iMovie now, even if it is in the most basic way!
1. We were able to finish our in class video regarding what the future of education looks like, our group grouped really well together and Brett even worked on it a bit over the weekend
2. I got to tell some awesome jokes to the class, I know I think I’m really funny, which thanks to Ellen was pretty easy to do.
3. I really do not like reality TV, but I succumb to it every once and a while. It is impossible to escape it.
4. My favorite foreign language word is not the most appropriate for class, but it hands down my favorite. I’ve been told though that the yiddish word for condom is Shmeckle Deckle, which is pretty awesome sounding as well.
5. Movies for profit and more profit. This just goes to show how difficult it is to make a non main stream movie in Hollywood, not that there is anything wrong with the CGI porn of Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer. I have seen every Transformers movie at its midnight premiere so…
6. An inside look into my favorite collection of items–my matchbooks. My does this and so I inherited the habit, we always take them when they are presented at bars or restaurants. I hope one day when I’m a real person my business cards will be matchbooks.
7. I’m so excited to see where this Catfish idea for our class video is going to go. The Catfish show was recently parodied on SNL!
1.I’m really excited to start the video portion of class and to see what everyone produces. Making tongue twisters was really funny, and its cool how everyone chose different ones. I really hope to be able to meet my goals and make something that’s cool and fun by the end of the unit.
2. Reading the “Syncher and not the Song” was really interesting. It was published in 2006 and since then a LOT has changed in regards to the accessibility of the internet, and video creating software. We all grew up with the ability to post anything we wanted on youtube, the volume of videos available is much greater. And now video creation is changing in the form of Vine.
1. With only one class this week we didn’t get to start our new projects, but our conversation about education was really in depth, and it was compelling to hear all our thoughts and ideas. I found this satire from Salon written by author Adam Mansbach of “Go the Fuck to Sleep“. It’s a fake syllabus from a professor who realizes the limitations of the classroom, very interesting looking at thinks from the other side. salon.com
2. There were some really interesting daily creates this wee. The first one I did was about the sky, and first think I thought of as a descriptive was “What’s up?”, because I still have the humor of a 5th grader. I don’t think I ever really describe the sky with color in mind.
3. One of my really good friends is an intern at Michigan Radio this semester,so I got a chance to talk to him about what he does and how he likes it. He told me that he thinks they do a better job managing the Facebook page than Twitter. He is a news junkie, so he told me some cool things he’s been able to do since working there. I liked looking at the site, the navigation was a little confusing though. Michigan Radio
4. Sunday’s daily create was really fun. I liked looking at everyone else’s post and seeing how the described their breakfast and thinking about what they actually ate. Brett’s and Ariana’s looked really good(and mine).
5. The Harvard Business Review articles were really great. I agree that the commonly used image of marketing and decisionmaking being a tunnel is outdated and that the Customer Decision journey is a much better outlook. Purchasing truly is a journey and the relationship between the consumer and brand that forms can be maintained by the highest level of possible (the CEO).
I am big on lists, so this is going to be in list format.
1. I thought a lot about my favorite place to do work and I realized that I really only do work where my friends are- since going to the library alone makes it very difficult to go to the bathroom since there is no one to watch your stuff.
2. Talking about copyright and reading about creative commons was really interesting. I thought it was really important that we learn about the death of Aaron Swartz since his story is one that is going be monumental to the future development of copyright
3. The second daily create- your favorite thing? Skiing, I am from Colorado and have been skiing my whole life, I am happiest when i am skiing and the sun is out and theres fresh snow. its meditative social and exhausting all at the same time.
4. The Michael Wesh videos were really interesting to thing about. I had seen the machine using us one multiple times before, but his students one was new to me. I think the way he tries to incorporate the internet and technology into his class is the right way to go. Things like course era and and kahn academy take this academic spirit and actually teach.
5. third daily create: love. me and my best friend jake have been attached at the hip since we were five. We have there for each other through our whole lives practically and I could not imagine my world without him.
6. Intro video– I went skiing this weekend and had a digital diet of sorts with no Wifi. It was interesting going the whole weekend with out media content and constant connections. Luckly I really enjoyed the company of the guys I went with with.